How to Braid Hair Step by Step for Beginners: A braid, sometimes referred to as ‘plait’, is a complex but beautiful pattern that is formed by intertwining three or more strands of hair. Learning how to braid hair may not be easy, but with patience and practice, one can learn to master the process.
How To Braid Own Hair
There are several kinds of braids that can be used to dress up your hair. Some of these types include pigtails, French braids, Dutch braids, and the fishtail braids. Once you learn the art of braiding hair, you will be able to braid your own hair and even help a friend sport the same look! by teaching them How to Braid Hair.
Materials Required to Braid Your Hair
The following are the things required if you want to learn How to Braid Hair.
- Wide-toothed comb
- Rat tail comb (comb that has a long, narrow handle with a pointed end)
- Clip / clasp / ribbon
- Spray bottle of water
- Hair spray
- Adjustable mirror apart from stationery mirror
How to Do a Basic Braid
- Before you begin the process of braiding your hair, use a wide-toothed comb to ensure that your hair is smooth and free of tangles. Brush your hair gently to make it smooth.
- Divide your hair into three even sections.
- Take the right section of hair and cross it over the middle section. Adjust the tightness of your braid according to your comfort.
- Now, cross the left section of your hair over the middle section. Remember, now, your original right section of hair has become the middle section.
- Continue alternating the right and left sections of hair over the middle section.
- Leave an inch of hair at the end without braiding. Secure the end of your braid using a clip / ribbon / clasp.
- Spray some hair spray to ensure that all the hair is in place.
Your elegant braid is ready!
Enjoying our tips on How to Braid Hair? Keep reading.
How to Do a French Braid
In order to create a French braid, you can follow the steps listed below.
- Take a separate section of hair at the top of your head. Try to take the section in such a manner that it resembles a ‘v’, with the pointed end being directed towards the back of your neck.
- Separate this section into three, equal sections. Cross the right hand section over the middle section.
- Now, the original right hand section has become the middle section.
- Take the left hand section of hair and cross it with the middle section.
- Pull each of the sections away from each other and tighten your braid depending on your comfort.
Watch this tutorial video to learn Double Dutch braid hairstyle in 2020
Using the pointed end of your rat-tail comb, take a small section of hair from the right-hand side by carefully drawing a line from the right to the middle of the braid, about half an inch below the first plait. Add this to the existing section of hair on the right and cross it over the middle section.
Repeat the process by taking the rat tail comb to take a small section of hair from the left. Do this by drawing a line from the left to the middle of the braid, about half an inch below the previous plait. Add this to the existing left-hand section of hair and cross it over the middle section.
Keep tightening your braid after each addition and continue to alternate the right and left sections of hair over the middle section.
Stop braiding when there is an inch of hair left and secure the braid using a pretty ribbon or attractive clasp / hair-safe holder.
The adjustable mirror can be positioned in such a way that you see the reflection of what you are doing in the stationary mirror. This will give you an idea on how your braid is shaping up. The water spray bottle can be used to dampen your hair and little while braiding because some people feel that they can braid their hair easily when it is a little wet. The hair spray can be used after you complete braiding your hair to ensure that there are no loose ends flying around.
Once you get the hang of how to braid your hair, you will be able to find new ways and means to be more innovative. You can even create braids using two strands instead of three. These two-strand braids are also referred to as fishtail braids. The process of braiding is similar to making the French braid except that, here, you will be using only two strands of hair and not three.
In the case of the Dutch braid or Under braid as it is sometime called, the hair is crossed under the middle sections instead of over it.
As you can see, braiding it quite an art and you can keep changing each look to create a new, unique style. So, guys, these are the ways to learn ‘How to Braid Hair’
Tips and Warnings
You should check these tips and warning after learning How to Braid Hair:
- Keep the following pointers in mind when you braid your hair.
- To make braiding easier, wet the hair.
- You can add hair-safe pearls, small flowers or crystals in the middle of each plait of your French braid to add to its beauty and elegance.
- If you keep your hands closer to your head while braiding, it will create a tight braid.
- As mentioned earlier, braiding may not come easily but with patience and repeated attempts, you will surely get the hang of it.
I hope you liked the post “How to Braid Hair Step by Step for Beginners | Hairstyles Video 2020” please share with your friends.